- This event has passed.
WWT Developer Workshop
November 7, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 6:30 pm EST
This WorldWide Telescope (WWT) workshop is intended to help developers and advanced users who know some coding to learn how to contribute to the development of the WWT open source code base.
This workshop will take place in three locations connected by video conferencing: Microsoft Research-Redmond, WA, Microsoft Research-New England in Cambridge, MA and at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in Urbana, IL. The workshop staff will primarily be in Redmond, WA and Cambridge, MA locations. Because the workshops are across three time zones, will be starting a little early for the Redmond location and finishing later for the Cambridge location.
9:00 am – 6:30 pm (Cambridge, MA)
Note, 9-10 am hour in Cambridge the group will meet to discuss the current state of WWT. Because of the time difference other locations will not participate.
9:00 am – 6:30 pm (Champaign-Urbana, IL)
7:00 am – 4:30 pm (Redmond, WA)
What you will learn at the WWT workshop
- Big picture of clients, www.worldwidetelescope.org, federated data.
- Back-end services and tools.
- LCAPI for data ingest and control
- Windows Desktop Client
- HTML5 Web Controls (custom interactives)
- HTML5 Web Client
The technologies vary depending on the underlying parts:
- Desktop client (C#, .NET)
- Interface using LCAPI: favorite programming languages talking to LCAPI
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop is targeted at potential WorldWide Telescope developers. This workshop will get people up to speed with the WWT eco-system including windows and web clients and backend services and tools. This workshop will be valuable for people with a variety of developer backgrounds. Below are a few of the ways you might want to get involved:
- Building data exploration experiences around WWT using LCAPI.
- Changing the Desktop Client to add some functionality, fix bugs.
- Adding to the HTML5 Client (adding functional parity to Desktop Client, fix bugs).
- Creating new custom interactives using Web Controls.
- Creating developer documentation, including examples.
Schedule (Central -1 hr, Pacific -3 hr)
[table id=1 /]
Video Capture of Workshop
The workshop sessions were video captured live. The videos for respective sessions are available in the table above. There is also a YouTube playlist for all of them available here:
If you are interested in coming the workshop please email the organizer, Doug Roberts – firstname.lastname@example.org. He will send along some pre-workshop materials.
This workshop will take place in two supported locations, one is Microsoft Research Redmond Campus and the other is Microsoft Research – New England (Cambridge, MA). These two facilities will be video conferenced together. We are also setting up a third location at NCSA at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Building 99 – 1915, 14820 NE 36th Street, Redmond, Washington 98052
- Workshop Time: 7:00 am – 4:30 pm (Pacific)
- One Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02142
- Ask for WWT workshop at front desk. Your name will be on a list. The workshop is one floor up from the lobby (Floor 1)
- Workshop Time : 9:00 am – 6:30 pm (Eastern)
The Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation is supporting this workshop along with assistance from the Brave New Software (BNS) Foundation and the .NET Foundation and the American Astronomical Society. This generous support allows us to cover the following participant costs:
- Support: up to $1000, including domestic air or rail travel to Seattle or Boston and up to two nights hotel near Redmond or Cambridge, MA.
- Evening dinner before the workshop for people who arrive in time (dinner around 7:00 pm Friday, November 6).
- Coffee, snacks and lunch during the workshop
- Group dinner following the workshop for those who can stay.
Reimbursement form (PDF) is available here: wwt-dev-workshop-reimbursement
We will have time the evening before the workshop on Friday for a nice dinner as a group (at Cambridge, MA and Redmond, WA) for people who are in town by dinner time (7:00 pm local time in Redmond and Cambridge). We also hope all participants can stay for dinner following the workshop on Saturday evening. The locations and time for social dinners are given below.
- Friday Dinner, 7:00 pm at The House of Chang, 282 Concord Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, http://houseofchangcambridge.com/
- Saturday Dinner, 6:30 pm at Za Restaurant, 350 third street • cambridge, ma • 02142 • 617.452.9292, http://zarestaurant.com/cambridge/
- Friday Dinner, TBD, contact Jonathan Fay, email@example.com
- Saturday Dinner, TBD, contact Jonathan Fay, firstname.lastname@example.org
After the Workshop
Below is a survey that all participants should fill out by Saturday, November 14, 2015:
This workshop is supported by the following organizations: Please help spread the word! Here is a printable PDF version of the WWT Developer Workshop Flier.